Cincinnati & Dayton Fine Art Wedding Photographer
My approach is simple, kind, and direct. I gently communicate my ideas & always allow room to patiently witness what I want to remember in the scene of a moment. I've learned how to be discreetly proficient with my equipment, while also being sensitive to the energy of the people around me.
My style pulls from elements of fine art theory, but I am a discerning observer who notices & captures the alterations in the expressions of the people in my portraits. I enjoy collaborating with the nuances of light that illustrate a scene.
As a photographer, I want my photographs to be portals that help you fondly & often recall the people who comprise them. I have been a freelance photographer in Dayton, Ohio since 2009. I enjoy a variety of assignments in weddings, portraits, and commercial photography.
Cincinnati | Dayton | Columbus
Available for travel.
Below you'll find information about my education in Visual Communications & work experience in Photography.
I live in Dayton with my two sons. We are big fans of Harry Potter, making our own pizza, and finding parks with swings. I proudly taught my sons how to play baseball & we have the best inside jokes.
We are surrounded by more ocean animals & dinosaurs than I ever imagined,
and I love every moment of it.
Kevin is in 6th grade and Damian is in 2nd grade. They are both the highlight of my life, and I love being able to see their personalities take shape each day. We especially like Netlix + ice cream nights... our favorite now is A Series of Unfortunate Events.
I call these years the "Golden Age," from Narnia. It's a fantastic season of all of us commuting together each morning, book bags and lunches in tow, that I treasure.
In 2015, I went back to Wright State.
The journey to medical school that began in 2002 finally continued.
In summer of 2018, I will graduate with a bachelor of science degree in psychology with a concentration in behavioral neuroscience. My undergraduate research is in behavioral neuroscience. I am examining changes in cytokine activity (tiny protein cell signals) in the brain after stressful events.
As I prepare for applying to medical school, I'll be working on a master's degree in physiology and neuroscience from Wright State.
My Photography Past & Present
Photography as an art form was introduced to me while I was in college earning my degree in Graphic Design. It began as a curiosity, but naturally evolved into my career. Styling food in my kitchen for school projects & taking snapshots of my son, unknowingly opened doors to photograph weddings & portraits. Through the last seven years, I've cultivated my craft in the art of photography. I specialize in wedding photography where I get to serve my clients with images that show a spectrum of events & emotions from their day. I want every image to stand on its own, yet always have a greater purpose in a collection.
My background in graphic design and my comprehensive work experience are the reasons why I enjoy the variety of accepting weddings, portrait sessions, & commercial projects. Most of the photography I do can be explained by these three categories-
Wedding Photography - Capture intimate moments from engagement sessions and weddings, and preserve them through prints, albums, & heirloom wooden boxes.
Commercial & Editorial Photography - Translate concepts into imagery. Represent small businesses' visual brand identity through specialized photography that illustrates the client's vision. In 2014, I began to connect with local (women owned) businesses to work on several commercial photography projects. I enjoy applying my background in design to create a complete visual branding experience through photography. If you have a unique business idea or want to reconstruct your online appearance, please get in touch with me.
Portrait Photography - Create a relaxing environment for pictures, specializing in newborn lifestyle sessions and relaxed family portraits. I know all the corners of Dayton and enjoy collaborating on where to go for sessions. I also book portraits in Knack Creative studio.
I use Nikon professional digital cameras (D700 & D800) & exceptional Nikkor Lenses. I prefer my 50 1.4, 24 1.4, and 85 1.4. The 24-70 2.8, 60 micro, & 70-200 2.8 are standard additions to each wedding. For receptions, I use flashes powered by PocketWizard triggers and SB 910 flashes. I love being hired to second shoot with other Nikon photographers in Ohio.
It looks like you have read and/or at least scrolled to the bottom of this page. Thanks for checking out my site and I'll reward you with a few more details:
- My editing playlist is eclectic- you'll find Nikki Minaj, City & Colour, Katy Perry, P!nk, Ben Howard, Les Mis & Florence + The Machine on the same list.
- I'd rather wander around looking for a taco truck than bother to make them myself. With that said, I'm really good at making tacos. Trust me.
- My boys have a male Beta fish named Sue. Found out about his gender after we named him Sue. I'm all over the Boy Named Sue jokes that my sons don't understand.
- I love that in photography there is always something new to learn.
- Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and One More Thing are all books that have profoundly changed my life this year. If prompted, I won't shut up about any of them. 😆
- I consider myself an "A then B Personality." I make very detailed plans, then proceed as a relaxed person knowing I can only control so much.
- I'll take the best "Tinder worthy" pictures of the people in your wedding party. Promise.
- If we can't laugh together, then it's hard to take your pictures in the way I do my best work. I want to give you the best images I can take, so we should meet & see if we think we're a good fit for each other.